Check if your organisation is eligible for a free project.
To benefit from our support, your charity needs to meet the following criteria:
- Your primary purpose must be addressing the needs of poverty, disability or social exclusion.
- You must be a formally constituted non-profit with a board of trustees, such as a registered charity or Community Interest Company (CIC).
- You need to have sufficient time available to work with our volunteers, who advise and facilitate, rather than taking the work away from you.
- You must be based in the UK, even if supporting work overseas. Any project undertaken must be agreed by your charity's trustees and CEO.
Which organisations do you help?
Our management consultancy service is available to organisations whose primary purpose is to address issues of poverty, disability or social exclusion. Although we interpret this brief fairly widely, we do not support animal charities, schools, environmental charities, historic buildings or other organisations whose work is not focused on people issues.
Do you only help registered charities?
No, our management consultancy is also available to community interest companies and social enterprises and other forms of not-for-profit organisation.
What is management consultancy?
In its most simple terms, management consultancy helps to improve an organisation's performance by solving problems and finding new and better ways of doing things.
Our free management consultancy service provides tailored business advice and solutions exclusively for charities. Whether you need help with your charity's business strategy, governance, marketing or financial processes, we can help.
Is it really free?
Yes! We are able to offer our services for free due to the generosity of Trusts and foundations. We do ask you to cover volunteer expenses (these should be moderate but it's a good idea to agree them at the outset). When your project has finished please do complete a short survey, so we can report back to funders.
Will I have to travel to meetings?
No! We understand that charity leaders are busy people and are often time poor. Our project managers and volunteer consultants will arrange to come and meet with you at a mutually agreed time and place.
How long does a project take?
Every Cranfield Trust management consultancy project is different. On average volunteer consultants spend about seven days with the charity they are working with but this can be spread over several months, depending on the needs of your organisation.
Do you operate throughout the UK?
We are able to offer consultancy projects throughout England, Wales and Scotland, but not Northern Ireland.
Do you work with international charities?
We support many charities that have beneficiaries outside the UK, but operate from the UK.
Next steps - it's as easy as 1,2,3!
- Read our Guide to getting started and get in touch to request an application form.
- Meet your project manager and finalise your project brief.
- You'll be matched with a volunteer management consultant with the specialist skills you need and your project will start.
Start your journey today!